Stephane here from Chamber of Secrets Escape Rooms. Today I’d like to talk about the importance of team building, and why Chamber of Secrets is the best option for where to hold your company’s next team building activity.
But before we begin, I’d like to share with you a little bit about my personal background in leadership. Before I became an entrepreneur, I spent 23 yrs with the federal government, almost entirely at some level of management. About 10 years in, I was recruited into one of the Public Service’s most prestigious leadership programs which exposed me to some amazing work assignments and great leadership courses. It was truly a blessing and I still pull from these learning opportunities to this day.
A few years after graduating from the program, I was appointed director of all of the organization’s leadership development programs where I oversaw the professional development of more than 200 future organizational leaders. When I left the government at the age of 44, I already had 7 years of executive experience under my belt. Now, I’m the proud owner of not one, but two businesses. All of this to say, I had the opportunity to learn a thing or 2 about leadership over the years.
So… what is leadership? If you google it, you’ll find a whole variety of different definitions and all kinds of examples of it too. In my opinion, what it all really boils down to, in its simplest form, is this…
- Leadership is the ability to create an environment where:
- everyone feels valued and enjoy what they do;
- they’re motivated to do their best everyday;
- they all have each other’s backs; and
- and they’re all going in the same direction.
- If all of this happens, then your team is, without a doubt, greater than the sum of its parts.
One of the most important tools that a leader can use to foster this type of environment is team building.
So… what is team building?
- Team building is the process of causing a group of people to work together effectively as a team by means of activities and events designed to create a bond, increase motivation, and promote cooperation.
And why is it so important?
- Because these team bonding activities also improve the execution of workloads that involve teamwork.
- After completing team building activities together, employees have a better understanding of each other’s strengths, weaknesses, and interests.
- This understanding helps them work even better together on future projects and workloads vital to the team or the organization.
- Now… before we talk about why Chamber of Secrets Escape Rooms is such a great option for your team building events, let me give you a bit of background into on what exactly an escape room is.
- Escape rooms are basically a simulation that takes place in a themed room. Your role in the scenario is clear and the mission is well defined. You and your friends or work colleagues are locked up with only a limited time to escape. Together, you have to solve a series of riddles, logic puzzles, and codes using objects, clues, hints, and Teamwork, creativity, and communication are a must if you are to crack the codes and ultimately escape
- Escape rooms originated in Asia in 2007 and slowly made their way to North America about 5 years ago. They were originally developed as a recreational event but it didn’t take long for organizations to see the benefits as an excellent option for team building, and here’s why.
- Escape rooms are simulations that require many of the same skills that you likely use day to day in your work environment, such as:
- Management of resources
- You need to manage the resources available to you in an effective manner in order to have some measure of success.
- At work, that’s all the things that management gives you to do your job effectively such as a computer, phone, or tools.
- In an escape room, that can be the various clues that you’ll find throughout the room, or things designed to help you to use clues and solve puzzles, such as a black light, a flashlight, a pen and paper, or a walkie talkie that’s there for you to call for hints.
- There are many resources in the room that must be used, and they must be used very effectively if you are to succeed.
- Time Management
- You also need to use your time strategically.
- If you don’t manage your time well at work, you might not achieve your performance targets.
- If you don’t manage your time well at Chamber of Secrets, you’ll get devoured by zombies or executed by Blackbeard.
- You’re racing the clock and the adrenaline is also racing, so you must utilize every second effectively.
- Everyone on the team must also be selfless and do their share and contribute equally.
- If everyone does their share at work, there’s harmony on the team.
- If everyone does their share at Chamber of Secrets, you might elude the zombies or escape Blackbeard.
- One thing I’ve noticed when monitoring groups is that natural leaders emerge naturally and give this kind of direction to the rest of the group, which goes back to what I said earlier about good teams understanding each other’s strengths and weaknesses.
- You also learn the importance of communication in an escape room.
- At the office, communication creates cohesion and provides direction while a lack of communication can lead to confusion or unrest, and often feeds the rumour mill.
- At Chamber of Secrets, it leads to… well… you get the point.
- You pretty much have to think out loud in an escape room.
- If you aren’t consistently making verbal connections, important information might not be shared and the team suffers for it when even more precious time is lost!
- Creativity is also a must!
- At work, it can lead to new products or more efficient processes.
- At Chamber of Secrets, it helps you to solve challenging puzzles or to crack complex codes
- None of our puzzles are obvious. You need to think outside the box. You’ll never find a combination or code just lying around
- You often need to put 2 – 3 clues together to solve a puzzle.
- Management of resources
Team Building at Chamber of Secrets:
At the end of it all, the most important part is that your team will bond at Chamber of Secrets. Our escape games are super challenging. The room décor, ambient music and sounds, and the race against the clock really combine to get the adrenaline flowing, so every solved puzzle or opened lock is a small victory for everyone to celebrate together. It’s not at all unusual to hear a loud cheer coming from inside one of our rooms when a puzzle is solved, a code is cracked, or a lock is opened. All this to say, you don’t need to escape for your group to have a great time and to bond as a team!
And for those few groups that actually do get out, it’s a huge accomplishment that can only serve to bring a group of people closer together.
To see more pics of our successful groups or see some of the positive reviews that we’ve received, visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ChamberOfSecretsEscapeRooms/.
Book your team building event:
If you do choose Chamber of Secrets to hold your next team building event, I’d be happy to share some of my knowledge about the elements and the importance of a strong team with your group. We will also open our doors just for you or reserve a block of time for a private event to accommodate you and your team’s needs. To organize your next team building event, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me directly at 613-639-9640.
If you think Chamber of Secrets can help your company or your team, contact us today!
Stephane @ Chamber of Secrets